– Schedule your mail to be forwarded to your new address.
– Purchase boxes and moving supplies
– Arrange phone service at your new home
– Depose of unwanted items to charity and/or dump
– Dispose of household chemicals properly (old paint, caustic cleaners, etc.).
– Return of any cable TV equipment
– Complete necessary change of address forms: Drivers’ license, Health cards, Insurance, Employer, Doctor, Dentist
– Cancel newspaper deliveries, health memberships
– Bank accounts, credit cards, and tax office
– Notify kids’ schools, transfer records.
– Register at new school.
– Obtain copies of medical and dental records; if you have pets, get copies of veterinary records.
– Arrange connection of utilities at new home.
– Arrange disconnection of utilities at current home: Water, Electric, Gas, Telephone, Hot Water Rental
– Dispose of all flammable materials.
– Pack a suitcase with the clothes and toiletries that you’ll need the first day in your new home.
– Pack a special box with other essentials you’ll need for the first few days and marks this box “Essentials”
– Pack your personal belongings, except your alarm clock, necessary clothes, jewelry and bedding
– Empty, defrost and clean refrigerator; clean the stove.
– Keep paperwork accessible.
– Collect all keys; keep them in a safe place.
– Final walk-through: check all closets and cabinets
– Book the day off for moving.
– If using a moving company, confirm the new address and delivery time with the driver
– If using a moving company, walk about with supervisor and sign inventory forms.
– If moving to a condo, book elevator ahead in advance.
Thinking about moving? Contact Jin Jiang at 647.557.3399